How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a child has become 17, but never met their father, and the

This answer was rated:

If a child has become 17, but never met their father, and the father has never been engaged in the childs life, can the father make a custody claim? If the teen wanted to meet the father, and the father decided to make a claim, could the father do that?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Sure the father could do that. there is nothing to prevent him from petitioning the court BUT the issue is will he be successful? Unless the teen is a problem child or expresses his desire to live with the father, the father's probability of custody are practically zero. Even if the teen expresses a desire to live with the father, the court will still make the decision that is in the best interests of the child. That is a heavy burden to overcome and it is doubtful that a court would think it is in the best interest for a child to go and live with a parent he does not know and has spent no time with. Again, unless the mother is unfit or something serious like that, I cannot see legally where the father would stand a chance at success. That and the fact that the teen will almost be 18 anyway and then can decide where he wants to go at that point. So mom could drag out the court hearings until teen is 18 and defeat father's custody claim strategically in that manner.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the teen is 18, then according to what you have said, the father cannot make any claims or rather make any demands to direct the teen to live with him. is this correct?
for the most part yes...just let me verify what state you are in first??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

texas is where the teen lives now. The father is in california


Great then that is correct. The age of majority in both these states is 18 so at that point the father can make no custody claims. I hope that clarifies. Thank you and kind regards.