Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

ive been off work for two months with no type of income check

Customer Question
i've been off work for...
i've been off work for two months with no type of income check and my wife's support is 25.00 per week do I have to pay her or what do I do. Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/1/2011
Family Lawyer: GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney replied 6 years ago
GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Hello, My name is Lisa and I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Yes, you still have to pay her unless you file a motion with the court to modify support based on "changed circumstances"...if you do not get the court to modify or suspend payments until you can find a job (which normally requires you to demonstrate all the efforts you have made to find a job, not just your word)...then she can file a motion to hold you in contempt of a court order and you can faces fines, penalties and/or jail time. So either get her to agree to suspend payment until you find a job or petition the court to modify and/or suspend the payments until you find a job or you risk being in contempt.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney