Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

he LA DCFS interrupted my life as a new mom and started an

Customer Question
investigation based on a complaint...
he LA DCFS interrupted my life as a new mom and started an investigation based on a complaint that made no mention of, much less fitting the description as required, child abuse/neglect on 10/03/2010. Despite my not realizing I could refuse entry to my home, I refused to cooperate due to the lack of relevance of complaint to investigation at first and then on principle that their lack of validity in complaint negated any right to my personal and family's personal information. By January 25, 2011 our home was invaded again, and the result was both my 11 mth daughter and me being detained under false accusations and means... I was being held in the hospital due to their efforts and not properly notified much less able to attend detention hearing (stated as occurring on Jan 15,28,29 - actually occurred from what I can tell on 28). There was a detention/jurisdiction(?) hearing to follow (Feb 22) I was told it was not important to attend- and was not properly notified of by DCFS--- Then, I believe I was misinformed/coerced into signing JV190 at hearing on 2/22. I would like to address the misconduct, denial of rights, essentially-0kidnapping of my child and myself, and so on re detention 1/25 and issues to follow such as hearing on 1/25. I want to have case thrown out. Most importantly, for now, I want my child back. Can someone help me figure out to address these matters in a legally addressable format?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/1/2011
Family Lawyer: LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer replied 6 years ago
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with child protective law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "Can someone help me figure out to address these matters in a legally addressable format?" Please allow me to start by saying that I am genuinely sorry for your circumstances. I have seen lives literally destroyed in such cases, so I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX things soon look much brighter for you and that you see your family reunited. Here is my best recommendation for addressing your concerns with the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family. There is a grossly underutilized resource, at least in my estimation, which operates under a serious statutory duty to investigate and intervene. I am referring to the Ombudsman, and in my experience these folks can get to the bottom of seemingly helpless situations. Toward that end, I would encourage you to contact the county office at(NNN) NNN-NNNN Alternatively, if you would very understandably feel more comfortable dealing with another entity, you could call the state office at(NNN) NNN-NNNN This would be your starting point, and I can assure you that you are far from alone, for what it is worth.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

The Los Angeles County DCFS interrupted my life as a new mom and started an investigation based on a complaint that made no mention of, much less fitting the description as required by both DCFS procedural content and California Law (WIC section), of child abuse/neglect on 10/03/2010.

Despite my not realizing, at the time, I could have denied entry to my residence repeatedly, I refused to cooperate due to the lack of relevance of the complaint to the investigation they were attempting to pursue. When the investigation became a DCFS case, I continued to refuse to cooperate, in most part, on principle. I did not feel my lack of guilt should compel me to prove anything because, again, there was no valid reason for their investigation.

Ongoing practice of misconduct by the DCFS has been rampant since the case was initiated, and there have been numerous opportunities missed for proper address of the issues in court due to ongoing delinquent pursuit, representation, explanation and notification.

A DCFS petition requesting WIC300(b) was sustained at a hearing my spouse and I did not receive legal notice of and did not attend. There was another hearing on 11/5/2010 that we were not properly informed of that needs review. The following hearing on 12/10/11 was one we did not realize we had rights to and should have attended. On 12/20/2010 we, mistakenly, agreed without proper information/understanding to acceptance of our child falling under provisions of WIC 300(b) failure to protect and neglect as well without knowing we had a right to insist on a trial. I was not allowed to address the court. Our child was left in our care but was determined a dependent of the court. Our next hearing was to fall on 2/14/11.

By January 25, 2011 our home was, again, invaded by the DCFS accompanied by two Van Nuys division LAPD officers resulting in both my 11- month –old daughter and me being detained under false accusations and means... I was being held in the hospital due to their efforts and not properly notified much less able to attend detention hearing (stated as occurring on Jan 15,28,29 2011 - actually occurred from what I can tell on 1/28/11).

There was a detention/jurisdiction (?) hearing to follow (2/22/11) that I was told, by my court appointed attorney, was not important to attend- and was not properly notified of by DCFS of this hearing.

Then, I believe I was misinformed/coerced into signing JV190 at a hearing on 2/25/11. I would like to address the misconduct, denial of my rights, the “kidnapping” of my child and myself, and so on regarding all of the pertinent events occurring 1/25/11 in regard to this situation and issues following up to date.

My goal, for now, is to have the case thrown out. Most importantly, for now, I want my child back. Can someone help me figure out to effectively and efficiently address these matters in a legally addressable format? I found the court will consider a parent's petition to have a court order changed when researching their website. It falls under WIC 388; the form is labeled as JV182. I think that may be one possibility to pursue the matter but feel it may not be completely adequate and am unsure whether it is the best way to go right now.

There are many more details to case needing address, but in the interest of time... please respond as possible...

First respondent went offline before answering my response...hank you for your response, Benjamin M Burt, Jr Esq.... I found the Ombudsman contact in some of the paperwork I have, but it appeared to me, on first glance to their website, they are primarily involved with Sheriff Department and Senior complaints. I am looking at it again tonight. Also, were you referring to the County of Los Angeles and the State of California with the phone numbers you listed because the county number went to a voicemail that did not identify any organization or individual's name.

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

I do ask that you kindly press "Accept" on the honor system to process my answer. I earn no salary or wages and will receive no compensation whatsoever unless you do so. Thereafter, I will gladly continue our dialog without additional charge.

1. "Also, were you referring to the County of Los Angeles and the State of California with the phone numbers you listed because the county number went to a voicemail that did not identify any organization or individual's name." The first number was for the local county office, and the second was for the state office. If you are having trouble with trying to make contact, here are full contact details: Los Angeles County Ombudsman, Sheila Rice, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, 425 Shatto Place, Los Angeles, California 90020,(NNN) NNN-NNNN[phone],(NNN) NNN-NNNN[fax], [email protected] [e-mail]

I hope that helps a bit more and that things work out properly for you in this matter.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer