How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So i put child support on my self and my girlfriend ended up

Customer Question

So i put child support on my self and my girlfriend ended up taking it off me so i just support my son financially now with no child support but lately my last 5 - 6 checks have been garnished from child support, why is that? i live in Reno,NV
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


This is happening because you nor the mother have the legal right to waive child support for the child. This is so because child support is the child's money and it can't be taken away by the parents under any circumstance.


Even if you're paying money to the mother to support the child informally, it doesn't count toward your obligation that the state has imposed on you. Since you've fallen behind because you stopped paying through the state agency, they've begun a garnishment to pay your support obligation.


You're going to have to pay the child support, therefore, you should consider stopping the independent support because you're not going to get credit for it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is that money going though? My girlfriend nor my son have recieved any of the money that is being taken out of my checks?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If it makes any difference both him and she live with me. It doesn't really make sense that they are doing this when i put the child support on my self in the first place...i wasn't forced to.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

The state should be acquiring the money from the garnishment and turning it over to the mother. If this isn't happening, you or her need to call and find out where the money being garnished is going.


The state agency should have records of where every penny garnished is.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

What else do you want to know?


I can't tell you what they're doing with the money if they're not paying the mother. The only way to find this out is to call and ask for an accounting of the money taken from your employer for child support.