How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FloridaLawyer Your Own Question
FloridaLawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 741
Experience:  Experienced family law attorney in private practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FloridaLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my husband works mainly off the books and what he works

Customer Question

If my husband works mainly off the books and what he works that is taxed is very little how do I get what my three children and I need and deserve since I do not work in Queens, New York
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to answer your question.


I am assuming you are referring to what you are entitled to in regard to child support and alimony in the event of a divorce. While it is more difficult to obtain a fair result in terms of child support and/or spousal support when one party is not truthful about their income, it can be accomplished. The first thing you or your attorney would need to do, if you haven't already done so, is file for a contested divorce. Having an active divorce case with the court will enable you to engage in the discovery process. What this means is that you or your attorney can do a number of things to obtain information. Unless he pays for the majority of things in cash, my guess would be that bank statements would show that your husband spends more than his stated income. The bank statements may even show more deposits than he claims as a salary from month to month. Additionally, his employer likely keeps accurate records of your husband's pay and would not risk his or her business by lying to the court, just to assist your husband. In other words, the employer is likely going to provide truthful payroll information if these records are subpoenaed.


You could also take depositions (sworn statements) from his employer, co-workers, or anyone else that has information regarding your husband's actual pay. Lastly, you could have an expert witness testify regarding what he or she believes is the average salary for your husband's occupation in your particular area.


Once you have shown the judge that your husband has been less than candid regarding his income, you should be successful in obtaining a fair amount of child support and spousal support.


I would suggest that you contact a family law attorney licensed to practice in your local jurisdiction. Many attorney's offer free consultations and affordable payment plans to meet your needs. An attorney can also request that the judge order your husband to pay your attorney's fees.


I hope this helps, best of luck!


If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.


Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Make sure I do not get charged as answer is vague and too too late in responding and I am not satisfied
Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 6 years ago.

Please contact customer service concerning your payment or refund.


Thank you.