Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

My dad is retired & had to go into a nurseing home & he is

My dad is retired & had to go into a nurseing home & he is about run out of his own money to pay for the care so they to put him on title 19 when u are on that you can only have $2000 in your account, he gets around $2000 each month from his pension & S.S., is there anyway we the family can spend this money on him or whoever ? T.Y.

.

The Medicaid limits are pretty strict in that they only allow a person to have $2000 in total assets to qualify for eligibility. It is a poverty based program that only kicks in if a person can not afford to pay for their own care. Any income that he has in excess of that would have to be turned over to the nursing home to help pay for his care before Medicaid would kick in. After that, they will take everything but $2,000 total assets and a small monthly stipend (I think it is around $100 for toiletries, snacks, etc.).

.

So the short answer is no as those funds would have to be turned over the the nursing home/Medicaid to help offset the costs of his care. Failure to do so could result in him being disqualified for coverage. Unfortunately there are no provisions that would allow you to keep a portion of his income under the federal guidelines.

.

.

thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

There may be a time lag between my replies as I am typically working with several customers at any given time, but rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Hello again, I just saw your follow up question in the feedback.

.

The basic Medicaid rule for nursing home residents is that they must pay all of their income, minus certain deductions, to the nursing home. The deductions include a $50-a-month personal needs allowance and a deduction for any uncovered medical costs (including medical insurance premiums). So if he has the $2000 maximum, there is nothing that would prohibit him spending it down further, but he wouldn't be able to replace it with his income as it all has to go to the nursing home from the time he becomes eligible for benefits.

.

thanks