How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal in NYS for a parant to move and take a child out

Resolved Question:

Is it legal in NYS for a parant to move and take a child out of state in the event of a separation (non-legal) if the parents have not oinitiated divorce procedings.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting I am sorry to hear of your family's difficult situation.

Unless there is a court order stating otherwise, either parent can typically take custody of the children and move to another state.

If a spouse is aware the other spouse may attempt to take such action, it is normally best to file a petition for dissolution or legal separation and obtain a court order gaining temporary primary custody of the children or at least an order indicating that neither spouse may move out of the state with the children unless they first obtain the written consent of the other spouse or the court.

All the best to you.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Tina and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you