How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i gust got divorce papers and my wife wants custody of the

This answer was rated:

i gust got divorce papers and my wife wants custody of the kids but i want 6 mouths custody of the kids she live in SC and i live in MD but i am willing to move back to SC what should i do
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

She wants sole custody or Joint custody with her being the primary physical custodial parent??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she wants custody with standard visitation
how old are the kids?
What is your objection to her having custody with standard visitation??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
12,11,6,3 my objection is i want 6 mouths custody
Ok, thank you. Since you are willing to relocate. you are best to file an answer to her petition and then you have to file a counter petition (which is your own petition) that asks the court to give you 6 months custody. you would have to show it is in the best interests of the children to have 6 months custody as that is not the standard and courts have to be convinced that it is better for the children before they are willing to go against the standard visitation. Alternatively if she agrees to give you 6 months then the court will just sign off on the agreement and there will be no fight on this issue. So answer the petition, counter with your own petition and if you cannot come to an agreement the court will decide whether to grant your requests for 6 months...just keep in mind you want to outline in your counter petition how it is in the best interests of the children to order this custody arrangement.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work) or the website keeps the entire deposit and I receive nothing. Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions