How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34975
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At what age in the state of Missouri, does child support stop.

This answer was rated:

At what age in the state of Missouri, does child support stop. And does it stay in effect if the child goes to college?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

In MO, child support will cease at the later of either

1. Child turns 18


2. Child graduates from High School up to the age of 21.

So, child support can extend past 18, all the way up to 21, IF the child is enrolled and progressing in High School.

Now, the court can also order support up to the age of 22 IF the child is enrolled in college.

You can see the law that applies here

Let me know if you have more questions
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the child support taken out of my pay check, not a garnishment, do I need a court order to stop it? My son is 18 and will be going to college. I want to have the money sent directly to an account for him, not his father. He is an adult, legally at 18 isn't he?
You need a court order to stop this if the child is going on to college.

I agree with you, as an adult the child should be able to manage his money...but you will need to convince the court that the money is better spent to him and not his parent.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So I need an attorney? Would that be the simplest way to do this?
Tell me a bit more about the specifics...

1. Current order has you paying mom?

2. How old is child now? If not yet 18, when does that happen?

3. When would college start?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am the mother. I work for USPS and there is a wage assingment, every 2 weeks I get a pay check. I pay the father. I did not have my son taken from me or anything like that. At the age of about 7 1/2, he wanted his dad. He turned 18 on 12/22/10. College will start in the fall of this year, 2011. He is currently in high school. He already has a credit card from me, that I manage and pay besides the child support. He is very responsible and knows that this is something that will be taken away is abused. I want to set up the account so he has a debit card access to it. I've already talked to the bank and they have an account just for students like this.

So you will need a lawyer to modify the support order. As I mention, MO law allows support to the age of the order will continue unless or until you stop it.

But what you describe? Sonds more than reasonable. I expect the court would grant your request and stop support this May/June (when HS ends) and allow you to support your son directly.

But to get there from here? You need to file a "petition" with the court...and for this you really want to use a local attorney

You can find on here

Now, if dad agrees with your plan? Easy. Real easy and cheap (nominal fee...perhaps $1000, perhaps much less).

If dad will not agree? Then you have a fight on your hands...but this would require dad to also hire a lawyer....and in the end possibly loose...and the money to the lawyers is gone for perhaps you and dad can agree...if so, hire a lawyer to give the court the paperwork needed to make it official

P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX out with my questions and you talked to me like I wasn't practicing law for 22 years! I appreciate that.