How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in New York and moved to be with my wife who

Resolved Question:

I was married in New York and moved to be with my wife who would not agree to move to New York. It has been a miserable marriage and I did not realize I was getting into a situation that was only for financial help. For almost five years I traveled back and forth to three different jobs mostly working and traveling about 90 to 100 hours per week. I have no children or relestate with this current wife. I was I was injured in a vehicle accident while working and since retired and went on Social Security and my pension effective Jan. 2010. There are constant arguments in the household over her older children living here for free, ages 22 and 25 plus one has a 21 year old mate living here for free. I'm 67 years old and just want out. I cannot see living my lasting years in such an unhappy mess. What are my options for getting out and divorced without going for my lungs ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

I only get paid if you click Accept.

Thank you for your question!

I'm sorry to read about your situation!

Typically, assets acquired during a marriage are subject to equitable distribution in divorce. This means that a court should distribute them fairly (not necessarily equally). For instance, if one spouse has sacrificed a great deal for a marriage and the other has taken, a court may consider that when deciding how to distribute the assets accumulated during the marriage. That said, some assets (such as inheritances) are not typically subject to distribution.

Assets brought into the marriage are typically considered separate property and are not typically subject to distribution in divorce. This means that the spouse who brought the property into the marriage typically may keep that property in after the divorce.

In some instances, a spouse who is unable to provide for himself or herself may be eligible for spousal support as well. This can be very relevant when one spouse is disabled. Either the male or female spouse can potentially receive spousal support. Courts consider a number of factors and there's no formula for determining how much support will be provided. Below, I have included a link to the factors that NJ courts consider.

That said, there's no way to force a spouse to accept a settlement agreement. Each spouse may typically decide what he/she is willing to settle for and, if the spouses cannot come to an agreement, they may then need to let the court decide on the distribution of assets.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the Reply feature.

I only get paid if you click Accept, even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription. Bonuses are greatly appreciated, though accepts and bonuses are entirely at your discretion.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. Information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom and 9 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you