How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13506
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If we get a divorce we have three boys ages 15, 12, 9 the two

Customer Question

If we get a divorce we have three boys ages 15, 12, 9 the two oldest boys want to go with me the nine year old undecided how does the court decide.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for your question.


Courts will decide issues of custody based on what they feel is in the best interest of the children. While the court may consider the wishes of an older child, it is not binding o the court and they do not have to grant a child's request if they feel it is not in their best interest.


In making the "best interest" determination, the court can consider any "relevant" factors. [Ca Fam § 3011] The court "must look to all the circumstances bearing on the best interest of the minor child"


However, among all the relevant factors, trial courts must consider the following (Ca Fam § 3011):


1. Child's Health, Safety, And Welfare: A "best interest" determination must take into account the child's health, safety and welfare. [Ca Fam § 3011(a); see also Ca Fam § 3020(a),(c)]. This is a paramount policy concern.


2. History Of Physical Abuse: The court must also consider any history of abuse by one parent or any other person seeking custody against (Ca Fam § 3011(b)) the child, the person seeking custody, or the current spouse.


As a prerequisite to consideration of allegations of physical abuse, the court may require "substantial independent corroboration" . . . including, but not limited to, written reports by law enforcement agencies, child protective services, etc.


3. Certain violent crimes restrict custody or unconditional visitation awards

A. Registered Sex Offender Or Child Abuse Conviction: Neither custody nor unsupervised visitation may be awarded to a parent or any other person who either (i) is required to be registered as a sex offender under Ca Penal § 290 where the victim was a minor, or (ii) has been convicted of specified child abuse offenses (under Ca Penal §§ 273a, 273d or 647.6) . . . unless the court finds there is "no significant risk to the child" and states its reasons in writing or on the record. [Ca Fam § 3030(a)]

B. Child Conceived By Rape: Without exception, no person convicted of rape pursuant to Ca Penal § 261 may be granted custody or visitation with respect to a child conceived by that act of rape. [Ca Fam § 3030(b)]

C. First Degree Murder Of The Other Parent: Neither custody nor unsupervised visitation may be granted to a person convicted of first degree murder (Ca Penal § 189) of the child's other parent . . . unless the court finds there is no risk to the child's health, safety and welfare and states its reasons in writing or on the record. [Ca Fam § 3030(c)]

D. History Of Drug And Alcohol Abuse: In determining the child's best interest, trial courts must also consider either parent's "habitual or continual illegal use of controlled substances" (as defined in Ca Hlth & S § 11000 et seq.) or "continual abuse of alcohol." [Ca Fam § 3011(d)]

Before considering allegations of a parent's drug or alcohol abuse, the court may require "independent corroboration"--such as written reports from law enforcement agencies, courts, probation departments, social welfare agencies, medical and rehabilitation facilities, or other organizations providing drug and alcohol abuse services. [Ca Fam § 3011(d)]

4. Stability And Continuity Of Environment: Although not reduced to express statutory terms, a significant component of the "best interest" assessment is the policy goal of protecting a stable custody arrangement. "As we have repeatedly emphasized, the paramount need for continuity and stability in custody arrangements--and the harm that may result from disruption of established patterns of care and emotional bonds with the primary caretaker--weigh heavily in favor of maintaining ongoing custody arrangements." [Marriage of Burgess (1996) 13 Cal.4th 25, 32-33, 51 Cal.Rptr.2d 444, 449-450 (emphasis added); see Burchard v. Garay (1986) 42 Cal.3d 531, 538, 229 Cal.Rptr. 800, 804-805]


5. Separation Of Siblings: California policy affords strong protection to sibling relationships. Absent compelling circumstances, such as extraordinary emotional, medical or educational need, an order separating siblings between custodial households ordinarily will be reversed as detrimental to the children's best interest. [Marriage of Williams (2001) 88 Cal.App.4th 808, 814-815, 105 Cal.Rptr.2d 923, 927-998]


6. Child's Wishes: The court must "consider" and give "due weight" to the wishes of children who are of "sufficient age and capacity to reason so as to form an intelligent preference as to custody." [Ca Fam § 3042(a); see also Ca Fam § 3030(c)(1)].


This is not a complete list, but gives you a good indicator of the thought that goes into the court's decision making process.


Please let me know if I have not fully addressed your concerns.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Related Family Law Questions