How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13665
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I am seeking help I am a single full time student parent

Resolved Question:

Hi I am seeking help
I am a single 'full time student' parent - living at parents home with my 2 year old daughter . I split from my partner 7 months ago following his drug use. He is currently in jail serving time for a second dui offense. I have filed for child support .
How do I now file for Sole legal custody and physical custody ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.


Did you file for support through the couts or through a local child support agency?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
local child support agency in Santa Ana Ca , the case is now set at zero dollars until he is released from jail
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Generally, once you have filed for support through a child support agency, they can also assist you in filing for custody/visitation. The family law facilitator in your county may be able to give you information about how to do this. The facilitator may also help you find someone in your area that will help you. Contact information for the family law facilitator for Orange County can be found here.


If the family law facilitator cannot assist you, and the father has signed a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity, you would have to file a Petition for Custody and Support of Minor Child(ren). The forms are available on the California court website here. If you have trouble with these forms/instructions or are uncertain as to which forms to use, contact the family law facilitator, as they are there to assist you in helping you determine what forms you need and can help you fill them out.


Please let me know if I have not fully addressed your concerns.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions