Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

CPS came to our house last year because if a report of domestic

violence , which we denied...
CPS came to our house last year because if a report of domestic violence , which we denied They said they could take our baby away but After talking to us and examining the baby they left but said they would be conducting an investigation. We received a couple of follow up visits and after the last visit the CPS official said we would be getting a letter saying the case was being closed.

That was over 6 months ago but we have never received any letter and no return phone calks to messages we have left with them.

We want to know if this case is actually closed and if not what we should do to make sure it is as we do not want this case hanging over our heads

What can we do to make CPS tell us about the status of this case ? Should we hire a family lawyer?
2/1/2011
Ely, Counselor at Law

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. However, I do have good news. While CPS doesn't have a DUTY to send you a letter stating that the case was closed, if it has been six months and you have not heard anything, then it likely is. Some caseworkers send letters; others do not. But again, if it's been 6 months, you are past the date for any real action unless another report is filed, so I would not worry.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Thanks for your answer and that is indeed good news if as you say we have nothing to worry about.

However, you say the case is LIKELY closed but if we want to make absolutely sure would you advise that it would be OK to call them and press them on the issue to give us a definite answer and ask for written confirmation or in your opinion would that be counterproductive and actually make them suspicious of our motives for wanting an answer and make think again or even keep case open
Sure - as long as you are nice about it. Actually, a letter would be better. Would you like a sample?
Yes please that would be great then we can accept and settle up Thanks for all your advice
Sure.

To Whom It May Concern:

Re: (cause/case #)

Recently, your office has investigated a fraudulent allegation against us for the child named ___. It has now been six months since the investigation. We were told that we'd be notified once the investigation is complete. While the length of time and no contact inherently points to a decision to drop the matter (and rightfully so), we would still very much appreciate a letter confirming that the case is closed, and if not, then its status.

Surely, you must understand what anxiety a parent feels towards this type of an ordeal. A letter, or even a telephone call, would be greatly appreciated. My contact information is...

Sincerely,

(Sign)

______

Name

While there is not guarantee, this should get some response, I think. :)

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law