How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30369
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to get employment verification details on my

This answer was rated:

Is there a way to get employment verification details on my ex spouse without going to court and having it subpeoned?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unfortunately, the employer will not release the records unless you have a subpoena or court order. That means that you would need to go to court, as you can only subpoena records when you have a pending court case.

If there's already a pending court case, then you just have to go to the clerk of the court and ask for the subpoena. There is usually a fee, and they may or may not accept cash, checks, or credit cards, so you might want to call first. I've been to courthouses that only accepted checks, so it's better to know in advance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do have an open case, I filed for child support modification in Dec. and my ex was served but is now deployed overseas. So I have to wait for him to come back.

But I found out he was employed before he left, so can I subpeona his past employer?


Thank you

Yes, you can. If there's an open case pending, the clerk of the court will give you a subpoena. It has to be signed by the judge, so you can't get them online. If you mail a check, though, the clerk might be willing to mail one to you if you can't get to the courthouse. That might be something to ask if you call them.
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you