Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife of 5 years just filed for divorce. No children. I

Customer Question
My wife of 5 years...
My wife of 5 years just filed for divorce. No children. I don't have the money for an attorney and want to represent myself. What law book would be good for me to read?

The case is in TX. My wife has significant assets. Would any attorney agree to contingency fees for divorce?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. There are SEVERAL books for a divorce guide pro se (yourself), so go to your local Barnes and Noble or Border's and ask for the self-help guide section to law. Here are the titles, and you can order them yourself if they are out at B&N:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/File-for-Divorce-in-Texas/Karen-Rolcik/e/9781402233586/?itm=1&USRI=texas+divorce+yourself

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Simple-Law-Texas-Divorce-Form-Book/L-Keith-Martinson/e/9780966118100/?itm=2&USRI=texas+divorce+yourself

The second one is mostly all forms, but it complements the first one, which focuses more on procedure.

Most attorneys would NOT take a case on contingency for divorce, I am afraid - they would want money up front. If uncontested, they can do a flat fee. If contested (or turns into a contested divorce), then it becomes hourly.

While you have me, feel free to ask me any questions you have pertaining to your matter, should you need to.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law