How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37816
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married years ago me. When my husband was in Japan I

Customer Question

I was married years ago me. When my husband was in Japan I pick up and moved due to domestic abuse in the relationship. I later filed for a divorce in another town so it will be hard for him to locate me. I was started seeing someone a year later and soon had a child with this man. We have split after 10 years and I am seeking child support but since I was still married when I got pregnant with my daughter I am not able to get child support. I gave all the information that I know on my ex-husband and I really need to start getting child support because we just had a staff reduction on my job last month and my department was lost. So I am now without a job and have to depend on the little pay of unemployment. I need help to find out what to do. I gave child support my ex-husband information and they claim they are unable to locate him please tell me what other options do I have.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.
The fact that you were married to someone else when you had a baby with the other person does not mean that you can not get child support from the father.

You will need to file a Petition with the Court for a Determination of Paternity. After you prove that the other man is the father, the court will award you child support. The court can even award you retroactive support and force the father to pay you for support that would have been payable in past years.

Get yourself a local Family Law attorney, and you will soon after be receiving the child support you are entitled to.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Thanks Again,


Related Family Law Questions