How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has two children with his girlfriend of 6 years. She

This answer was rated:

My son has two children with his girlfriend of 6 years. She now wants out. Is it true my son has zero parental rights to his 5 and 1 year old children?

Thank you for your question.


No, that isn't true. However, to enforce his rights in the event the mother refuses to allow access to the children, your son would need to obtain a court order for custody and/or visitation. It's the same as if the parents were married and one parent was refusing access. If your son's name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate and they've signed an acknowledgment of paternity, he is the legal father and could forgo paternity proceedings. If the mother is threatening to leave the state, emergency custody proceedings may be appropriate.

Lady Themis and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you