How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my lady friend does move out of the house after 3 years

Customer Question

If my lady friend does move out of the house after 3 years what can she take out of house and if she can only write checks for bills could she ask for half the account
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer ! Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Your friend can only take the property she owns, or property jointly owned . You also have the right to the jointly owned property and you can prevent her from having access to the property.


Your friend can also take funds in accounts jointly owned. She has the right to all funds in joint accounts. Your best option is to remove the authority to write checks from your accounts, create new accounts for any jointly owned accounts. . As long as she is a signatory she can take ALL of the funds out of the account. As far as jointly owned property if there is a dispute, then you can file a petition with the court for the partition and either division or sale of the property with the proceeds split between you.



If you found this answer informative please press the ACCEPT even if you are on a subscription plan so I may receive credit for my work.


All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.