How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have to continue paying child support if my child is leaving

Customer Question

Do I have to continue paying child support if my child is leaving with me and I have a notarize document from his mother when she it's saying that he is leaving with me. We never went to court to determine any child support because I agree to pay her $500.00 per month plus all his expenses besides he was with me most of the time.Right know he it's with all the time and she only picks him up for hours and then bring him back because he does not wants to be with her.But she insist in continue to receive from me the child support. My actual economic situation it's not good and I cannot afford a lawyer right know.
I leave in New jersey.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

In New Jersey, if there is no court order, there is no legal obligation to pay child support to the other parent. Period.

Furthermore, if the child is living primarily with you, the court would ordinarily not order you to pay child support even if she went to court to ask for it; in fact, you could ask the court to order the child's mother to pay support to you.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thanks.