How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Tennessee. My ex girlfriend and I had a child this

Resolved Question:

I live in Tennessee. My ex girlfriend and I had a child this past September. We had broken up about six months prior to his birth and she has avoided me ever since. She says that she wants to raise our son on her own with no help or involvement from me. She does not want child suport and will not let me see him. I am ok with her decision but fear what may happen in the future if she tries to get back suport. I did not sign any papers at the hospital and my name is XXXXX XXXXX the birth certificate,he has her last name. Do I still have any legal obligations ? And is there any papers we need to have drawn up to protect me from her changing her mind 10 years from now ? Do i still have any rights to see my son ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


Your concerns are valid and mothers change their minds all the time about the child support. Irrespective of whose name appears on the birth certificate, DNA tests can peg you as the father at anytime and you can then be liable for back support and future support.


If you want to have any formal rights to visit with the child you will need to first establish paternity with the courts. You will need to file an acknowledgment of paternity form and file a petition to establish visitation and custody. This will also start your obligations for child support.


If you do not want to have any rights with respect to the child, you will need to voluntarily relinquish you parental rights. Under TN law, it is my understanding that the courts are more likely to grant this if there is another person waiting in the wings to adopt the child.

This is because the family courts will only terminate parent's rights if it is in the best interests of the child.


Once parental rights to a child are terminated, you no longer be permitted to have contact with the child and you will no longer have to pay ongoing child support.


Because these things require court action and cannot be accomplished simply by agreement between the parents (if you want long term security in the agreement), I would recommend that you hire a local family law attorney to assist you.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .


You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.


Maverick and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions