How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a law whereby I could convey my property and any property

Resolved Question:

Is there a law whereby I could convey my property and any property inherited to my children at death, but leaving me a life estate. In other words in charge till my death.
Would this remain in effect if done before a marriage. Thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Yes, you could accomplish that by placing the property you presently own in a Living Trust, with your children as the beneficiaries, and were you to inherit additional assets---be it before or after marriage---you could add those assets to the Trust. Your new spouse would have no claim to the trust or the inheritance you received, and the trust could hold that the children would take possession of the assets in the trust on your death. You would still have control over the property until your death, too.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Thanks Again,


LawTalk and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you