How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife filed for child support for her daughter of whom

Customer Question

My ex-wife filed for child support for her daughter of whom I am not the father. I signed the birth certificate & now the judge says I have to file something to release my rights as a parent or she'll have to grant the support. I have no income & can't afford a lawyer so I have to file it myself.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

Thank you for your patience. I read your post and I understand the situation. Would it be possible to rephrase it into the form of a question? It would help me to best serve you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll try. Could you help me to word a motion correctly & to name the motion that would release my parental rights based on the fact that the birth certificate is inaccurate?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
I can tell you what the motion is called and explain the process involved, but it would be professionally irresponsible to draft it on your behalf since we do not have an attorney-client relationship. I could direct you to where sample motions could be found, but that is as close as I can get. If you would like to move forward based on those parameters, just let me know, but I wanted to let you know the limits of what I can responsibly do from here before locking you in with an "answer". Thanks.