How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Before my mother got alzheimers, she set up a bank acct in

Resolved Question:

Before my mother got alzheimers, she set up a bank acct in her name, my name and my sisters. Now a state appointed guardianship has taken control of all of her accts including this one. I thought that they would have to have my sisters and my approval for this. Since my mom set this account up for my sister and myself, we feel that the guardianship is taking money that mom intended for us. Can they do this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 6 years ago.

If someone filed a report because they thought your mother could not take care of her financial affairs because of diminished mental capacity, the Court may have filed a Petition for Guardianship or a Petition for Conservatorship. However, your mother had to appear in Court and would have had to undergo an independent psychological or psychiatric exam and medical exam by doctors appointed by the Court.


But even so, the Guardian appointed by the Court would have no right to touch money in accounts that had other names on it besides that of your mother.


You must file a "Petition to Set Aside Guardianship" with the Court that appointed the Guardian and in the Petition, you would set forth your reasons. Your sister should join in this Petition also since her name is XXXXX XXXXX account,

ANDREA, and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions