How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I were divorced 2 years ago. No kids, a very simple

This answer was rated:

My wife and I were divorced 2 years ago. No kids, a very simple uncontested divorce. A balance of $15,000 remains, to be paid at 500/mo. increments as part of our property settlement. I kept the house. She asked me if I could give her $9000 and the matter would be considered paid in full. Can i give her a check for $9000 and have her sign a document that this fully satisfies the divorce aggreement and she is paid in full. Her lawyer said that all she needs and no lawyer or court needs to be involved. Can I do that??
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No other steps. Since our divorce was amicable she called and said she was short on money and could i give her $9000 cash as a settlement of the $15,000 i owe her which i am paying in 500 monthly payments. She stated her lawyer said it did not need lawyer or court involvement and to merely sign a document that the $15000 I owe her is paid in full based upon the $9000 cash( check) settlement.
Yes what you are considering is called a property settlement agreement and would be binding in court so long as the agreement is clear that it created a complete and total division of the marital property.
Daniel Solutions and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you