How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son leaves in Nevada, he is married for many years and they

Resolved Question:

My son leaves in Nevada, he is married for many years and they have a child 15 years old.
For some time relations are not good with thw wife.
Today the wife told him that he is going to receive a request for divorce. He found out that she has already an attorney.
They have a house but with the current situation the house depreciated a lot. Maybe now is
worthed 300,000 from 450,000.
How is the law in Nevada and responsability for wife and daugther?
The wife is 44 years old and never worked.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting I am sorry to hear of your family's difficult situation.

Did they purchase the home during the marriage?

Do they owe more on the home than it is worth?

Edited by Tina on 2/1/2011 at 1:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The house was purchased during marriage


They owe more that the house is worth

Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
I see.

The spouses would each typically be entitled to a 1/2 interest in all property acquired during the marriage. Since the home is "under water", the spouse who receives it should be given marital assets to offset the deficit.

The wife would likely obtain custody of their child since she is the primary caregiver, along with an order of child support the husband must pay.

Here is a link to the NV child support guidelines to estimate the amount of support he would be ordered to pay based on his income:

Spousal support is also likely, at least a temporary order is likely, since the wife does not work and due to the length of the marriage. There is typically no set formula for determining spousal support, but the following links sets out the factors courts normally consider:

All the best to you in the New Year.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.
Tina and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you