Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son leaves in Nevada, he is married for many years and they

Customer Question
have a child 15 years...
My son leaves in Nevada, he is married for many years and they have a child 15 years old.
For some time relations are not good with thw wife.
Today the wife told him that he is going to receive a request for divorce. He found out that she has already an attorney.
They have a house but with the current situation the house depreciated a lot. Maybe now is
worthed 300,000 from 450,000.
How is the law in Nevada and responsability for wife and daugther?
The wife is 44 years old and never worked.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.com. I am sorry to hear of your family's difficult situation.

Did they purchase the home during the marriage?

Do they owe more on the home than it is worth?

Edited by Tina on 2/1/2011 at 1:40 AM EST

The house was purchased during marriage

They owe more that the house is worth

I see.

The spouses would each typically be entitled to a 1/2 interest in all property acquired during the marriage. Since the home is "under water", the spouse who receives it should be given marital assets to offset the deficit.

The wife would likely obtain custody of their child since she is the primary caregiver, along with an order of child support the husband must pay.

Here is a link to the NV child support guidelines to estimate the amount of support he would be ordered to pay based on his income:

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/nevada/

Spousal support is also likely, at least a temporary order is likely, since the wife does not work and due to the length of the marriage. There is typically no set formula for determining spousal support, but the following links sets out the factors courts normally consider:

http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/Nevada-Spousal-Support-Maintenance-Alimony-Factors-633.html

All the best to you in the New Year.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.
Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer