How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im preparing to retire next year under the CSRS Retirement

Customer Question

I'm preparing to retire next year under the CSRS Retirement System and have been divorced for 12 years. My divorce decree states that he is entitled to 50% of my mothly annuity of what was paid during the term of the marriage. My divorce lawyer told me that although that is in my divorce decree doesn't necessarily mean that he is entitlked to any portion of my pension sicne I am covered under a Federal retirement system. Is he? If so, what legal steps do I need to take to negate that agreement?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest that either your attorney gave you bad advice or there was a misunderstanding here. There is no exception for federal retirement plans from equitable distribution from a divorce decree.


Additionally, even if there were, your divorce judgment provides for your former husband to have a 1/2 interest therein. When the judge did that, he did so as part of a total equitable distribution scheme. In other words, if your former husband did not receive any interest in the retirement plan, he would have received a greater interest in some other marital property.


I wish I had better news, unfortunately, your former husband is entitled to his share of this account. Sorry.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.


Thank you for your patience.

Related Family Law Questions