How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask VanDLaw Your Own Question
VanDLaw, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 833
Experience:  Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, Adoption
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
VanDLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an adult male living in florida. my father lives here

Resolved Question:

I am an adult male living in florida. my father lives here also. recently, an adult female contacted us saying that she is my half sister. can i petition the court to have her dna tested to see if she is in fact my half sister
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 6 years ago.

The answer is, without a court order, No. If when your father passes away she tries to make a claim against the Estate, then through that process she would have to prove she was a child of the decedent in Probate Court.


You do not have any legal standing to Petition the court, if either your Father or alleged half-sister initiated a paternity action, it would have to be for a reason i.e. child support, etc. Since your Petition has already been denied, there is really no other recourse other than an appeal--but it is highly likely you would not prevail in this.


If your Father doubts her claim, he should make sure that he has a valid Will in place. You can disinherit children in Florida, but you cannot disinherit spouses.

VanDLaw and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you