N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

Can I legally kick my 17 year old out of the house

Can I legally kick my 17 year old out of the house? Are there other options? an a teenager with a diagnosed mental illness be emancipated?
May I ask which County you are in?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Adams county
Adams County does not appear to have a website on this issue, but King County does:
http://www.kingcounty.gov/Prosecutor/truancybecca/beccataskforce/beccalaws.aspx

You cannot just throw the child out-
You can file what is called an ARY petition.

At-Risk Youth (ARY)
An ARY petition is a request from a child's parent or legal guardian to the juvenile court to help in maintaining the care, custody, and control of the child. ARY petitions can be filed for youth who are under the age of 18 and
///
(2) are beyond parental control to the extent that his/her behavior threatens the health, safety or welfare of the child or any other person;

You can get a free consultation from some of the Adams County family law attorneys listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestatecounty/Family-Law/Washington/Adams

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to the DSHS to file for an at rist youth petition a last month. My son does not qualify because he doesn't meet 3 criteria: he hasn't ran away for 72 hours or more, he hasn't harmed anyone, and he has not been truant from school. Are there any other legal venues I can pursue?
DSHS is wrong. The 3 criteria are alternative, not inclusive:

(1) are absent from home for at least 72 consecutive hours without parental consent;

(2) are beyond parental control to the extent that his/her behavior threatens the health, safety or welfare of the child or any other person; or

(3) have a drug or alcohol abuse problem for which there are no pending criminal charges relating to the substance abuse.

You wrote that your other child is afraid for her safety so it seems clear that the first child is threatening the health, safety or welfare of the girl- you also wrote that he threatened your husbands life.

I would go back to DSHS and ask them to do their job. Criterion #2 does not require actual harm, just a threat of harm.
Thank you for accepting my answer.