How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9411
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i have my husband legaly be my daughters dad and have

This answer was rated:

How can i have my husband legaly be my daughters dad and have his last name.The biological father went to prison while i was pregnant he saw the child once and i havent seen or heard from him .My husband raised her from 6 mo.of age until now, she is 15 now
Your husband can legally adopt your daughter and you can legally change her name in the same proceeding. Since the biological father abandoned the child, I doubt he has any right to stop this.

You can get a free consultation from some of the adoption lawyers listed by location at

You can probably do this without an attorney if you get a copy of Do Your Own California Adoption from
which may be available at the County law library.

See also

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if i can get this taken care of without an attorney, will this adoption process be expensive?
If you tell me which County you live in I can look up the filing fees.

Stepparent adoptions are the easiest variety.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great, i live in Sacramento County

96 First paper filed in response in family law matter other than
dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership, legal
separation, or nullity
GC 70670(c) $ 395*

99 Petition for adoption (for each person to be adopted) H&S 103730 $20

112 Costs for stepparent adoption, including investigation (amount
set by court, up to $700) (FC 9001, 9002)
FC 9002 Amount ordered by court

That looks like $415 to file and up to $700 more later.

You may be eligible for a fee waiver, see and has the Family Code sections relating to stepparent adoptions.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer.