How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Ex-Husband Owes 3600 in Child Support according to the Child

Customer Question

My Ex-Husband Owes 3600 in Child Support according to the Child Support Enforcement Division of the Massachusetts DOR. I owe him 70,000 dollars plus interest at the rate of 9.59 per diem that has started at the day of the Judgement (June 20th 2006.) This debt of sorts is due and payable once I sell my house. I am closing on My House on June 30th. Is there any reason why on the date that I pay him that I cannot just subtract the arrearence in Child Support from the settlement that day?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

There does not appear to be any reason why you cannot just subtract the arrearage from the settlement monies. At the time of settlement will want to execute a mutual release indicating that you have both been paid in full as of the settlement date.

If you would like additional details concerning my answer, please click REPLY and I will be happy to respond. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site. Do not click relist as it will delay my response.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!