Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My fianc e left Monday and crossed state lines. I found out

Customer Question
My fiancée left Monday and...
My fiancée left Monday and crossed state lines. I found out tonight she has no intention of coming back. She has my children with her. What can I do? Can I file charges for parental kidnapping?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/2/2011
Family Lawyer: lwpat, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Each parent has an equal Constitutional right to custody of their children. There can be no parental kidnapping unless there is a court order. You can go to the family court and file a petition for custody and the judge will decide what is in the best interest of the children.
Ok, so she can just dissapear with my kids with no notice and thats legal? I do not know where they are, and have not heard anything?
Without a court order that is correct. Sorry but until you go to court that is the legal situation.
How likely is that too occur? And what benefit would a court order have on my behalf? I know she left because of some problems I have and I am in the middle of trying to get help for that through things such as consoling as well as anger management.
If she had cause to leave then it is unlikely that the court would award you more than supervised visitation.
So, and and please do not think I am snapping or anything I am just so very very stressed over this, because she left due to verbal and emotional abuse I should just give up and accept my family is gone forever? And how would a supervised visit work when i do not know where she is?
Unfortunately we are limited on this type of forum to answering legal questions only. In your situation there is little else I can tell you. Sorry.
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer