How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37804
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if a car is in both your and your husbands name and you can

Resolved Question:

if a car is in both your and your husbands name and you can prove you paid for it in full from my dads wrongful death suit does he have the right to take the car if the tittle says or between the two names can i sign it over to someone else without his signature
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.



If the car was to be considered separate property, then it would have to be only in one person's name. When the title is taken in both spouse's names, there is a presumption that it is jointly owned marital property, regardless of who purchased the vehicle.


Since you are both on the title, each of you has an equal legal right to possess the vehicle. With that said, there would be nothing that could prevent him from taking it because he is legally an owner.


And if you are both on the title, then you would both have to sign in order to legally transfer it to someone else.


I know this is not what you had hoped to hear.







If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Barrister and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what can i do to get it back. i paid for the car out of my checking account his name isnt on my account in a divorce will i be able to get it back