How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37376
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I discharge my divorce attorney does that mean my temporary

This answer was rated:

If I discharge my divorce attorney does that mean my temporary orders regarding the children are no longer in effect?



No, this would not affect any temporary orders that have already been put in place by the judge. The orders are put in place to bind the parties, not the attorneys. The attorney is your representative with you being the principle, so when you discharge the attorney, that means that you are "pro se", or representing yourself, until you obtain new counsel and get the judge to release your previous counsel and let the new one formally take over the case.


If the orders do not address who gets the exemption, then that is something that would need to be clarified with the court if you can't resolve it between the two of you. You don't want to get into a situation where you both are claiming them and someone ends up getting penalized by the IRS later for it. So to be on the safe side, you would need to get the judge to clarify it so there is no opportunity for confusion later on.







If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Barrister and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions