How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an adult. I would like to change my name. Do my parents

Resolved Question:

I am an adult. I would like to change my name. Do my parent's get served a notice by the court if I do this? Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer - Your parents would not be entitled to any special notice. The public notice would be the same as for anyone since the court records are public but there would be no special notice sent to your parents if you are over 18. No one under 18 could even apply for a name change.


Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thank you. So the sheriff does not come and deliver anything to me at home? I would rather my parents did not know I am doing this. Also, if there are two newspapers in my county, can I choose which one it goes in? Thanks.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

I cannot see why the sheriff would deliver anything. You would simply be filing a name change action in the probate court. The court will publish in whatever paper they use so you have no control over where it is published.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How long would it take to be published do you think? They said if I get it in by Jan.6, it would be changed by February 14th. Also, the lady at the court said I could get a new social security number? Is this the case? I would like to change to my maternal grandfather's last name, I have decided. Also, in 2008 an elderly woman hit my car twice in the front of my vehicle. I have been recovering ever since. She "forced" me into a bankruptcy in Jan. 2009 as a result of my being unable to work. Do you think this would prevent me from obtaining a new social security number, also? Thanks.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

can't change your grandfather's name and the Social Security Number would have to be addressed with the Social Security office. That is a Federal issue and the state court cannot change the number. I have no way of knowing when the action would be published but if they told you that it could be done by February then I would assume the case would be published immediately.


If the court finds that your are trying to deceive creditors by changing your identity your application could be denied. That will be up to the court so I can't tell you what they will decide.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The girl at the court said I "could" change to my grandfather's last name. That is "not" the case? I do not have that many bills right now and I pay someone to handle that aspect of things. The bankruptcy was already discharged. So it has nothing to do with creditors. I pay my bills on time now. So, are you saying I cannot change my last name to my mom's dad's name as he is deceased? Thanks.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Yes you can change your name to your grandfather's. I thought you wanted to change your grandfather's name. Sorry I misunderstood.



Dave Kennett and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you