How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102145
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The husband is no longer residing in Colorado but is required

Resolved Question:

The husband is no longer residing in Colorado but is required to pay child suppport. He is only working at odd jobs thus shows very little earned income, however he is beneficiary of a trust set up by a grandparent. He derives sufficient income from this trust so he does not have to work and is therefore not paying the required child support.
Is this income from the trust considered in determining his income? Is this income attacheable for collecting child support?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. I need to know if there was an order for automatic payment from his paycheck made as part of the decree, or was he just supposed to send in checks on his own? This is important.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is just supposed to send checks on his own.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
I understand - thanks. This makes sense now. I am going to divide your question into two parts so as to help you understands this properly.

No. Trusts cannot be 'attached' for child support or other debts, generally speaking. Only payouts which are paid out to the individuals may be attacked. However, just because he is not working does not mean he is not supposed to pay - he is to follow the child support per guideline.SO HOW TO MAKE HIM PAY?File a motion for contempt. Judges do NOT like it when individuals do not follow their orders. He does not have a good excuse for not paying, so the Judge will make him pay. The first time he'd be admonished in front of the Court, and made to pay your attorney fees. Second and subsequential times can lead to fines, imprisonment, and voiding of his US Passport and licenses.In short, you have to file a MOTION FOR CONTEMPT in the same court under the same cause number as a post-judgment motion, and have him brought before the Court to explain himself.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you