How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102320
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Whats the quickest easiest way to get divorced or annulled

This answer was rated:

Whats the quickest easiest way to get divorced or annulled in new york?

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

First of all, thank you for your service, and I am sorry for your situation. My question is - is she willing to agree to the divorce, or not?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes she'll agree to the divorce, she doesen't want anything from me as far as support, but she won't admit to cheating.
Got it. Unfortunately, simply by her being unfaithful, it does not meant that you can get an annulment. You STILL have to get a divorce. However, waiting time between filing and actual divorce varies - if you want to claim adultery, then there is no waiting period before divorce. If you do not want to, then it can be up to two years:

Grounds for divorce in NY is based on Domestic Relations Law §170:

1) cruel and inhuman treatment;
2) abandonment (for a period of one year or longer);
3) imprisonment (for a period of three or more consecutive years or longer);
4) adultery;
5) living separate and apart pursuant to a separation judgment or decree;
6) living separate and apart pursuant to a separation agreement.
Grounds 1 and 4 do not require any time period to pass, you may complete your divorce without a waiting period; Ground 2 requires that the abandonment occurred one year or longer prior to filing for divorce; Ground 3 requires that the imprisonment be for a period of three or more consecutive years or longer prior to filing for divorce; and Grounds 5 and 6 require you to wait one year after the document (separation judgment, separation decree or separation agreement) is filed with the Court.So if she is willing to concede to adultery, you can be divorced immediately. If she is not, you will have to wait after filing, I am sorry to say.I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions after an accept should you wish to continue in this thread and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but have limited legal avenues seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you