How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need precedence on spousal support Lifetime support petitio

Customer Question

I need precedence on spousal support
Lifetime support petition, married 11 years, ex-wife is co habituating with her boyfriend and has done so fir te. Past 4 years. She wants to quit work and gain a new college degree in nursing. While we were married. She gained a double batchelors degree as well as her Real Estate and Realtor License.
No spousal support has been ordered or paid thus far
Exhusband is 34
Exwife is 33
Divorce filed April 2006
Divorce final December 2010
2 bits ages 15 and 13 years old
15 year old physical custody to father
13 year old physical custody is 50/50
Legal custody of both children is 50/50
100% of marital assists were given to the ex-wife
Financial obligations and assists were split 50/50
Ex husband is USAF - Master Sergant - no college degree
This information is for me to help my son
Please help us.
State is California
County is Solano
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

California law specifically states that "Except upon written agreement of the parties to the contrary or a court order terminating spousal support, the court retains jurisdiction indefinitely in a proceeding for dissolution of marriage or for legal separation of the parties where the marriage is of long duration." Cal. Fam. Code §4336(a). This means that when a marriage is lengthy, the court is able to reexamine its' initial order of spousal support, modify it, extend its' duration, or reissue it. A ten-year marriage is presumed to be a lengthy marriage.

I hope this helps
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is ther precedence ruling in California in regards XXXXX XXXXX a job to furtherr education inacting spousal support
Is ther precedence in California in regards XXXXX XXXXX term cohabitation and long term spousal support granting or terminating support?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
These are all issues that the court will consider. I am not able to specifically research the cases