How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13549
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a coming up trial in a family law case.. Approximately

Customer Question

I have a coming up trial in a family law case.. Approximately 2 weeks away. I'm a pro se litigant. The motion for non jury trial states that discovery must be exchanged 14 days before the trial. I have website printouts of the opposing party's escort ads, personal copies of DCF records, information on the opposing parties recent violation of probation charge, a recent felony drug charge, and eviction along with a list of 8 addresses they have had in the last year. I plan to present this information in court. Would this be something I would be required to exchange without he opposing party or could I present this information without notifying them?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you have a very strong case, which is wonderful. Generally, the discovery you must provide is that which is requested by the other side. Thus, if they ask for it, you need to get it to them before 14 days before trial. If they asked you for any statements,documents, etc. purporting to show any criminal activity on the part of the mother, you'd want to send them a copy of what you have. If they don't, I do not see that you would. (Not to mention, none of that would be a 'suprise' to her, since she knows or has reason to know of her own criminal record.) The reason for the provision is so that if you have a secret witness, and they have asked for names of all witnesses that MIGHT be testifying, you provide same, so they have the opportunity to depose her or investigate.

Florida Rule of Civil Procedure 1.280 provides:

(a) Discovery Methods. Parties may obtain discovery by one or more of the following methods:

depositions upon oral examination or written questions; written interrogatories; production of documents or things or permission to enter upon land or other property for inspection and other purposes; physical and mental examinations; and requests for admission. Unless the court orders otherwise and under subdivision (c) of this rule, the frequency of use of these methods is not limited, except as provided in rule 1.200 and rule 1.340.



So really, each party is responsible for ASKING for the discovery it wants.

Good luck!

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by, so PRO BONO work for the disabled may continue over the holiday/winter season. You may always follow up with me after doing so. Positive feedback and a BONUS added to your donation are also always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.

AlexiaEsq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I meant to thank you for your answer.
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 6 years ago.
Your kind accept was a nice thank you. But your words are also greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, and happy new year to you and yours :)