Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If im getting a divorce and I have no debts under my name and

Customer Question
my spouse has 90,000 so...
If im getting a divorce and I have no debts under my name and my spouse has 90,000 so because of community law I'm guessing I will take 45,000 of the debts? and we have two kids which I will seek joint custody but he gets joint physical custody since I'm working in afghanistan as a linguist if my net pay is 170,000 and his pay his 100,000 a year, does that mean I have to pay an estmate of 45,000 a year for child support? So I will get 45,000 of his debts and 45,000 for child support will that be fair or am I calculating wrong?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 7 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hi

If the debt was his before the marriage, you may be able to negotiate out of it. Also, if the debt was during the marriage, it depends on what the debt is for - was it for his sole pleasure or was it for necessity to help the family. Those things are all considered when deciding who gets what portion.

As to child support, if is based on guidelines and who has the children the greater portion of the time and net income.

Net income is calculated by subtracting only 5 items from the parent's gross income which includes commissions, overtime pay, tips, bonuses, interest, dividends, rental income, royalty income, trust income, retirement income, disability income, etc.

Those items to be deducted are social security taxes, federal income tax, state income tax union dues, and health insurance premiums for the children. The proper applicable percentage is calculated by determining how many children the paying parent has an obligation to support.

You should consider consulting with a local Texas attorney, of course, before signing or agreeing to anything.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and good luck

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law