How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Son and daughter in law have refused me to visit my grandson

Customer Question

My Son and daughter in law have refused me to visit my grandson after nearly 3 years of sitting him 1 or 2 day a week. My grandson loves me and I him. I have not endangered him in anyway but they feel that I gave him a stuffed doll 9 buzz light year, that they wanted to give him at Christmas. what do I do? my son called me up and said I was decietful, mean liar and could no longer see my grandson because of this. I know it sounds crazy but these are not rational people. can you steer me in the right direction tHANK YOU
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - I wish I had an easy answer for you but whenever the parents agree as to who can or cannot have contact with their children then the law will not force them to do otherwise. Grandparent visitation rights exist in situations where the child of the grandparent is deceased or otherwise unavailable and the in law parent will not permit the visitation. So if your son were deceased or totally out of the picture you could file a motion for grandparent visitation.


In this case your only option is to repair your relationship with your son. I don't know if there is possibly a third party who could act as a mediator between you and your son but that may be a good approach. Legally your son and daughter in law are within their parental rights to deny you visitation. I am also a grandparent so I certainly understand your pain and anguish in this situation.


Dave Kennett