Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have an important question and problem. I was awarded alimony

Customer Question
as in garnish of my...
I have an important question and problem. I was awarded alimony as in garnish of my ex hubands wages. Now even though we are legally divorcced about 1.5 years, he owes me about 3 yrs alimony/mailtenance. I am disabled and was legally married 17 years. his employers were notified and sent the court order and now my lawyer says there is nothing I can do. It would take too much money. I live in NJ. MY ex-husb. employers are in calif and I believe 2 other states. My ex also lives in nyc. I began reading for my life, medical etc. depends on this and I am getting no where. can you help. MY ex is in the entertainment industry backround { consultaion and promotion } when the letter did arrivve to his employers, he was illegally threatend to be fired. Now I am not on speaking basis with my ex. I have no children so help is a bit harder to find
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
If your lawyer is saying it would take too much money, at this point I would strongly urge you to get a new attorney. Also, there are spousal/child support collection agencies out there who will enforce the collection and then charge you a portion of what they are able to collect, like an attorney. I would suggest getting a new attorney first and bringing the employer to court for contempt in not following the court order for garnishment (you cannot sue them for the back support but in the contempt order you can ask for your legal costs and fees for having to pursue them in the contempt of court motion).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer