How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a resident of Nashville, TN for 9 yr. I am married in

Resolved Question:

I have a resident of Nashville, TN for 9 yr. I am married in Egypt 17 years ago. I 've been divorced in Egypt last Aug. We own a house in Nashville after marriage. Is that divorce is valid here that I can't file for a divorce again to get my rights? If I can't file a divorce, do I still get my rights here?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®.


I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify this point:


  1. Was this an official secular divorce decree issued by the government or a fatwa or other type of religious legal opinion/ruling?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is a religious official divorce .Usually we don't have an agreement before the divorce like here. And according to our regulations,in order to be used outside of the country, it has it be notarized by the Foreign Embassy, which my ex-husband did. Now is my divorce is legal here? Do we still have to do something through court? And as he is arguing about my rights here in the states, do I still have a chance to get my rights here through court even after the divorce?

The other problem is we got the house 4 years ago, but my name is XXXXX XXXXX the deed. We lived in the house 1 year, then he moved to Mississippi for work. He comes one weekend/mo. So which court I should file into, if I need to do something?

Thank you

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with international family law litigation experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification after reviewing the following information. Thank you for writing back with the additional information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry.
  2. "Is that divorce is valid here that I can't file for a divorce again to get my rights? If I can't file a divorce, do I still get my rights here?" Unfortunately, I regret to say that based on the circumstances you have described, the divorce would not be valid under our domestic law. However, the residency requirements stipulate that a spouse who is domiciled in Tennessee can file for a divorce in the county of residence. Tennessee Code §§ 36-4-104 and 36-4-105. Truthfully, you need to sit down with local legal counsel and explore your options. You could schedule a consultation with a family law attorney for a minimal fee through the Lawyer Referral Service. It would be a modest sum of money well spent to plan an appropriate course of action. The same would apply for your inquiry concerning the house. That is an excellent issue to discuss during a session with a Tennessee family law attorney. Frankly, there is no option but doing so under your circumstances.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I am sorry for the circumstances, and I hope that this situation gets resolved appropriately.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It seems that my divorce is not valid till we file something with the court. Is this right? Unfortunately, I checked with several family lawyers, and they are not familier with the subject because they don't have international experience which I can't find in Nashville, TN. My question is do I can still get my rights here?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello again,


Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.


I do ask that you kindly press "Accept" to process my answer.


I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.


  1. "Is this right?" Yes. Your understanding is correct. You will have to have a final decree of divorce issued in Tennessee.
  2. "My question is do I can still get my rights here?" Yes. You can get your rights established through a final decree of divorce. If no lawyers in Nashville with whom you have spoken are able to assist you, I would suggest broadening your search through a reputable referral service such as Martindale-Hubbell.


I hope that helps a bit more and that all works out for you.


Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!


[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]

LawHelpNow and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you