How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife hacked into many electronic accounts gaining access

This answer was rated:

My wife hacked into many electronic accounts gaining access to several passwords. We are in the process of divorce. Copies of these emails were filed in court. The court filing submitted by my wife through her council contained fabricated stories, lies, unauthorized access to emails, communication regarding confidential medical information, treatment and communication with medical professionals. Included were confidentiality statements in the email body. The filing was clearly malicious. She won a temporary order for limiting my time with my children and a large sum of money each month to include paying a portion of her attorney fees.

What is my recourse?

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with family law, criminal law and civil litigation experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification after reviewing the following information.
  2. "What is my recourse?" You are right on the mark with your mention of reporting the incident to the federal authorities. Additionally, in terms of recourse available to you, I would recommend reporting the conduct to your state law enforcement authorities as well. Furthermore, in the context of the family law proceedings, you could certainly move for the imposition of sanctions against your wife (and her counsel as well, if implicated). Additionally, if you have grounds to believe that her attorney is involved in this conduct, you should report your concerns to the state bar association. Finally, I would give serious thought to filing a civil claim against your wife under a tort law cause of action theory. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the behavior you have described raises serious issues of criminal offenses, civil law actionable conduct, and contemptuous behavior in the ongoing divorce proceedings.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope this situation gets resolved appropriately.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you