How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much does it cost to get grandparents rights I live

Resolved Question:

How much does it cost to get grandparent's rights? I live in Ohio. My 21 year old married son was killed in Iraq September 2009. He had a daughter with his wife. She hates me and won't let me see my only grandchild. She lives within 40 miles of me. What kind of lawyer can handle this case and what kind of money would it cost me to have the right to see her?
I would like visitation.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 6 years ago.

As background you should read here, a summary of grandparent rights in Ohio:


Ohio does recognize grandparent visitation rights (not all states do). In your case, with the death of your son, you would have standing to request visitation. Generally, unless there is some major issue (like a history of violence toward kids or something) the courts will grant visitation to grandparents in these situations.


As for how much it will cost... that depends. I cannot tell you how much another lawyer would charge you or how long the issue would drag out. Generally, though, if it is contested by the mother, you are going to spend at least $1000 to retain a lawyer for a contested hearing.


Of course, you could file the paperwork yourself, and it would just cost you the filing fee, which is less than $200.


The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you do have a right to see the child and be part of the child's life. I am sorry for your situation. But if you pursue the issue, you will most likely win out (barring some major omission on your part).





JPEsq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you