How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the laws regarding locking children in their bedrooms

Resolved Question:

What are the laws regarding locking children in their bedrooms for the night?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  • Please provide more information as to the situation.


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So she can sleep, mom lockes bedroom door so 2 and 3 year old can't' sneak out of room during the night
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

And this is during night time hours?


And you're wanting to know if this might be criminal in nature?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
During nighttime hours. Is it criminal in Nature?
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Child endangerment cases generally consist of allegations of abuse, abandonment or neglect. According to New Hampshire statutes:


I. "Abandoned'' means the child has been left by his parent, guardian or custodian, without provision for his care, supervision or financial support although financially able to provide such support.
II. "Abused child'' means any child who has been:
(a) Sexually abused; or
(b) Intentionally physically injured; or
(c) Psychologically injured so that said child exhibits symptoms of emotional problems generally recognized to result from consistent mistreatment or neglect; or
(d) Physically injured by other than accidental means.



Based on what you have stated, the closest part would be "left by his parent". However, the definition continues in discussing not having left "provision for his care". Based on the facts as you've stated them, I don't see anything criminal here.


As a note, a couple things that could make this criminal and/or subject to action by child services would include:

  • being locked in the room for an extended period of time
  • being locked in the room during the day, as opposed to the night when presumably they would be asleep
  • if the room were not a proper temperature
  • if the mother left the house


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.


Thank you for your patience.