How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Girl Your Own Question
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Girl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

alright my ex wife and i have joint custody she keeps them

Resolved Question:

alright my ex wife and i have joint custody she keeps them during school year i get them in summer holidays. i was not allowed to have my summer visitation or thanksgiving, i cannot contact them by phone, and i called her parents and they dont tell me anything either. the ex wife left the state of kansas without giving forwarding address to court or to me as required by court order, i didnt know where the children were for several weeks last summer what can i do what laws might she have broken
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

Lawgirl :

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your situation, it sounds VERY frustrating. To the extent that her actions are in violation of the court order then she is in contempt of court. You have the ability to file a contempt motion which would highlight to the court that she is not in compliance with the court order and allows the court to implement penalties which may be criminal and/or civil (fines, jail time, etc.) for willful disobedience of a court order. However, if some of this conduct is not laid out in the court order, for example, if the order does not require her to inform you of where the children are at all times, then it may be necessary to amend the current order to force her compliance. Very generally, she breaks the law by willfully not adhering to the court order.

Customer :

what about the fact that i didnt know where they were, i mean had i taken the kids for a visit and not returned them i would have been interferring with custody is this the same for her

Law Girl and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is definitely interfering with the other parents visitation and custody. However, this is not a criminal issue, this is an issue that warrants returning to the family court for the court to make further orders. A court does not look positively upon such conduct.