Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been married for 25 yrs. and have 2 daughters in this

Question referred to family attorney......I...
Question referred to family attorney......I have been married for 25 yrs. and have 2 daughters in this marriage. Two 1/2 yrs. ago I found that my husband was having a relationship and working in that individuals business, aside from his private practice. He claims that he is no longer working in that office and out of the relationship. However, throughout this time I have had other reasons to believe that he is hiding something and he denies any other actions. Aside from other situations, recently I found that he is working in another office and when questioned he stated that "he does not have to tell me everything he does" I am currently unemployed and it has been difficult to take the next step because of my status. Due to our marriage vows is he required to keep me informed of any changes on personal/business matters? Is there anything I could do? I am starting to wonder if he has a child that I am unaware of.
12/7/2010
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney

Law Girl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able. Generally, the law recognizes that spouses have a fiduciary duty to one another, this means that they should keep each other apprised of all information relevant to finances and business dealings.

Law Girl :

The law assumes that spouses will communicate to share this type of information, including information about additional children. However, the reality is that as long as you are married, the courts will not intervene to force him to share this information. In a divorce proceeding the courts may force some of this information out of him to the extent that it impacts the determination of financial information. Depending on the information that comes to light, the court may even find that he breached his fiduciary duty to you if it comes to light that he is being shady with finances and/or hiding money, assets and/or debts from you.

JACUSTOMER-k9oc7ed- :

Thank u for accepting my question. Since I am unemployed if I decide to seek an attorney, could I exceed that he pay for my attorney fees? Is there such a thing as a legal separation, if so how does it difer from a legal divorce? Thank you!

Law Girl :

What state are you in?

JACUSTOMER-k9oc7ed- :

Sorry I was awaiting an email and did not realize I was on chat. I am in Florida.

Law Girl :

Yes, you can make a motion to request that he pays for your attorney's fees. If he has significant means and you do not, a court could require him to pay for your attorney. Unfortunately, Florida does not do a legal separation. You can decide to live apart, but you would still be married until a court decrees your divorced.

JACUSTOMER-k9oc7ed- :

I must contact an attorney and advise them and it would have to be approved first?

Law Girl :

You would need to find an attorney willing to represent you under these circumstances and that attorney would determine how to handle bringing the issue of attorney's fees before the court.

JACUSTOMER-k9oc7ed- :

Ok thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it. Happy Holidays......

Law Girl :

Not at all. Best of luck.. Happy Holidays to you as well. Please remember to hit "ACCEPT".

JACUSTOMER-k9oc7ed- :

Ok thanks again! I clicked once, noticed I had u on chat on another open window. Do I have to click again?

Law Girl :

Generally it is clicked to conclude the session. So, it may not have registered as being clicked earlier.

JACUSTOMER-k9oc7ed- :

Ok I will click again..... thank you!

Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Law Girl
Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney