Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What are the laws for infedility divorce

Customer Question
?...
What are the laws for infedility divorce ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/2/2010
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 7 years ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
In DC:
A divorce will be granted by the court on the following grounds:

No-Fault:
(1) Mutual voluntary separation without cohabitation for 6 months; (2) living separate and apart without cohabitation for 1 year. "Living separate and apart" may be accomplished under the same roof, if the spouses do not share bed or food.

Fault:
(1) Mutual voluntary separation without cohabitation for 6 months and (2) living separate and apart without cohabitation for 1 year are the only grounds for divorce in Washington D.C. (District of Columbia Code - Title 16 - Chapter 9 - Sections: 904, 905, 906)
From
http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/dc.shtml

Infidelity is a frequent cause of divorce, but legally it does not have any particular effect under the DC divorce law. It does in some States. For example, adultery is grounds for divorce in Maryland, see
http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/maryland.shtml

I hope this information is helpful.