Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been paying $ 850.00 a month child support for two children.

Customer Question
The settlement agreement addendum reads...
I have been paying $ 850.00 a month child support for two children. The settlement agreement addendum reads as follows. the husband shall pay a total of ($850.00) a month. four hundred and twenty five dollars ($425.00) per child.support payments will commence on the 1st. day of each month after the effective date of the signing of this agreement.support payments will continue until the child reaches the age of 18 or for the duration of 4 years of education following high school graduation if the child attends college or a technical trade school. the oldest is now 18 and in the military. should my monthly payments now legally be $425.00 a month ? thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Thank you for your question.

Yes, your support should drop to $425 a month. Going into the military is not the same as going to school. That made the eldest child at this point an "emancipated adult", or a person for whom you are no longer legally obligated as the child is now self-sufficient, self-supporting, and legally independent.

What you must do is file for a formal modification based on the agreement with the courts, and request that the judge permit the original court-ordered condition be upheld.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 12/1/2010 at 9:18 PM EST