Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How do I move out of the house to start a seperation from my

Customer Question
spouse without giving up custody...
How do I move out of the house to start a seperation from my spouse without giving up custody or other rights?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

I am an attorney and will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you but cannot give you legal advice, represent you, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as Justanswer.com's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

yes
Thank you.

Taking the child with you is typically the best alternative to increase your chances of retaining primary custody. If you have been the primary caregiver of the child, then that is often a very important factor as well.

You would not typically be abandoning your property if you move out though unless there is an extensive period of absence along with conduct indicating an intent to abandon the property. Filing a petition for legal separation or divorce would typically show you do not intend to abandon the property but modify or terminate the relationship with your spouse.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX season,

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

where do i get a petition for legal separation?
Here is a link with the contact information:

http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/www/public/courts/meck/disk01/index.html
Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer