How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I move out of the house to start a seperation from my

Resolved Question:

How do I move out of the house to start a seperation from my spouse without giving up custody or other rights?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I am an attorney and will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you but cannot give you legal advice, represent you, or enter into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

Taking the child with you is typically the best alternative to increase your chances of retaining primary custody. If you have been the primary caregiver of the child, then that is often a very important factor as well.

You would not typically be abandoning your property if you move out though unless there is an extensive period of absence along with conduct indicating an intent to abandon the property. Filing a petition for legal separation or divorce would typically show you do not intend to abandon the property but modify or terminate the relationship with your spouse.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX season,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where do i get a petition for legal separation?
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Here is a link with the contact information:
Tina and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions